Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sooooolong Trusty




What a heart wrenching tear jerker of an afternoon. My beloved car Trusty a 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier has become the latest casualty of my new adventure. Due to obvious reasons there was no practical way I could keep my car and pay insurance and all other expenses while I am not here to use it. So as a result Trusty had to go.


Trusty and I first met about 4 1/2 years ago. I was 17 at the time. I had amazingly huge ambitions and one of my dreams was to have a car before I was 18 and went away to university. My parents even though they are supportive of my goals were skeptical of my ability at such a young age to understand everything that having my own car entails. Knowing my parents and the sort of people they are begging and pleading was out of the question a reasonable level headed approach is required in order to negotiate. One of my key bargaining chips was the fact that it was offset by the fact that I would live at home instead of staying in residence. In addition I would "help" to transport my brothers to their various functions I think what finally helped my case the most was the fact that I kept asking to borrow the car and both my parents being career people were not always able to share the cars. In the end we agreed to look it the idea however it had to be 1 million % my cost and that meant EVERYTHING! Not only the initial cost but gas, insurance, repairs and anything else that may be needed, and trust me it was a lot.


Trusty has not always been my best friend there have been times where she has been very draining on me... especially my wallet. Over the last few years I have basically rebuilt the car the head gasket, the brake lines, and fuel lines, the transmission, the ignition just to name a few. However overall I have loved having my own car. For me it was never about having bragging rights or having the "coolest ride" instead Trusty represented so much more. She represented the Trust I had earned from my parents. she represented freedom and independence and for me she also represented growth and maturity.


So I will miss you my friend, through the miles we shared and the roads that we travelled it was the journey not the destinations that mattered.

No comments: