Friday, September 26, 2008

Thoughts on the First Week

So I have been in S.Korea for exactly 1 week come tonight. It has been a really rough week. I feel lonely and homesick constantly and more than anything just want to hug my family and pet my dog Sandy.

Asides from the emotional roller coaster the job itself is okay. The kids are well behaved and most of them really want to learn. I work about 30 hours a week and have spent the rest of my time working on applications for school and trying to get financing for when I go back to school in the fall.

Most websites and resources I found online say that homesick is the worst in the evening however I find the opposite to be true. Ever morning I wake up at 3am in a panic confused and disoriented. I know that these symptoms will get better in time as I get more busy and establish a routine, however until this happens it is upsetting.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Hi Amanda,

Wow what a first week. It will get better trust me. Once you make sopme friends and get used to the new country, this week of feeling homesick, will lessen.. Yes you will always miss your family but it won't seem so hard.

I just finished catching up on your week, I haven't been on the internet this week.

Ava and I got a hairgut this week and Lance and I celebrated 10 years of marriage on friday. Went out for Mexican food....

Well have a good Sunday and I will catch up with your blog later this week. I don't have skype, my sister does so that is how I know about it.

Take care and love ya lots and lots big hugs through the net,

Lori Lei

Libby said...

Oh yes and I hope you got a kick out of my typo re haircuts.

Libby said...

Amanda, I woke up at 3:57am to let out Bailey. While waiting for him I had a question for you come to ind. Are there any english speaking churches in the city where you are? Is there any Navigators group or anything? That is a great place to get connected. I am glad that learning the language is easier than some others.
We are going to take Ava to see the African's Children Choir tomorrow night. I think that she will really enjoy that. She loves music so much.
I had eye laser surgery this week. Not fun but it is over. It was to prevent a condition called Angular Acute Glacoma from causing me blindess so the good news is, it can not happen now that they have blown holes into my eyes with the lasers to allow a drain. I don't need to have that prcedure done ever again and I am thankful for that. On the way home, my MOther was driving becuse you are not supposed to drive. We picked up Ava from day care, and on route a big gravel truck pulled into our lane around a turning car and laid on their horn. We just missed it by inches as my mother swerved towards to ditch and then back again. Thankfully we we okay and survived what could have been a wreck. Angels wathching over us. God has some angels watching over you too... Think of that when you feel paniced or down. Also you are in his hands, God has an amazing plan for you in Korea, and you will see it all enfold in time.
When I used to wake up in night and feel overwhelmed when I was at University it helped me to sing Jesus Loves Me. Not long afterwards I would fall asleep again.
Your tv link under favorite blogs, is it free to watch the movies and tv or do ou have to pay? Do you need a superfast computer to watch? Any tips op that website?
May you have a good nights rest. I 'd better get back to bed.

Aunt Lori Lei